The mission of the company is to mitigate negative impact on human health and environment caused by household solid waste landfills; management of 54 landfills of municipal waste operating throughout the country; construction of new landfills in compliance with the EU environmental and technical standards; gradual closure of existing landfills in compliance with international standards after commissioning of new regional sanitary landfills.
Objectives of the company:
Improvement of disposal of household waste on existing landfills (except the landfills in Tbilisi and in Adjara Autonomous Republic); arrangement of landfills and their preparation for further commissioning; introduction/improvement of calculation systems of wastes on landfills; defining the number of new regional sanitary landfills and waste transfer stations; construction and management of new sanitary landfills; remediation and closure of landfills bearing high risk; capacity building in waste management issues of human resources employed in the company; improvement of material-technical base of the company.
With the purpose of improvement and preparing for commissioning, the company has identified 8 priority landfills:
· Telavi landfill
· Mtskheta (Ksani) landfill
· Gori landfill
· Akhaltsikhe landfill
· Kutaisi landfill
· Ambrolauri landfill
· Zugdidi landfill
· Ozurgeti (City Hall) landfill
Current and already implemented activities on the selected landfills include:
· Establishing the landfill commissioning project;
· Topographic-geodetic works, topographic-survey of the landfill site;
· Engineer-geologic study;
· Transferring wastes placed on the landfill to a specific site, pressing and covering it with the layers of soil for isolation;
· Gathering haphazardly strewn waste in the vicinity of the landfill within its territory;
· Construction of crossing points;
· Arranging waste water discharge systems;
· Conducting shore protection works;
· Fencing landfills
· Installation of weighing machine;
· Arrangement of water closet and sanitary hygienic points;
· Arrangement of fire board;
A contest was announced and a winner was declared for drawing up design and cost-estimate documentation for the works planned to be implemented on 8 priority landfills and for purchasing authorship of exclusive supervision over project services on the facility.
The company studied the condition of the rest 46 landfills and following works are being carried out:
· Gathering and pressing of haphazardly spread wastes;
· Arranging internal roads;
· Fencing the landfills; landfills were marked for further fencing and their fence types – defined;
Inventory of currently operating landfills have been implemented. Methodology of calculation of wastes through strict registration logs has been introduced at operating landfills.
Improvement of landfills
Initial exploitation works for improvement of landfills throughout the country have been conducted and will last until the end of the year in the following towns: Gori, Telavi, Khashuri, Dedoflistskaro, Bakuriani, Gurjaani, Tsnori, Dusheti, Zestafoni, Samtredia, Kharagauli, Terjola, Oni, Sachkhere, Ambrolauri, Kaspi, Ksani, Sagarejo, Zugdidi, Kareli, Agara, Ozurgeti, Senaki.
A necessary vehicle and time-frames for arrangement of internal roads and cleaning activities of waste disposal sites on each landfill have been established.
With the purpose of effective management of landfills an “Instruction for municipal waste landfill commissioning” was developed;
Assessment and risk analyses of every existing landfill (on the basis of relevant questionnaire) with the purpose of planning/implementation of measures to mitigate hazardous influence on the environment and identifying the landfills subject to remediation or/and closure have been conducted.