The project “Integrated Solid Waste Management System Kutaisi”
The project was developed and is currently being implemented within the bilateral German-Georgian cooperation agreement with support of a credit provided by KfW.
- Project results: the construction of a new regional landfill in compliance with EU standards with a network of connected transfer stations, the closure of the Nikea landfill in Kutaisi and the introduction of an integrated waste management system by supporting and enhancing the capacities of all involved parties (SWMCG, municipalities, citizens and stakeholders)
- Project duration: 2015-2019
- Target region: The new landfill will serve the Imereti and the Racha-Lechkhumi / Kvemo Svaneti regions
- Project beneficiaries: Solid Waste Management Company of Georgia, 16 municipalities, 700 000 citizens
- Total investment: 26 mio Euro
Construction and operation
The Solid Waste Management Company of Georgia is the direct beneficiary. The landfill is planned and constructed on behalf of the company and will be operated by it after construction. The landfill for Imereti and Racha Lechkhumi/Kvemo Svaneti is the FIRST regional landfill that will be constructed. SWMCG has the following tasks and responsibilities in the project:
- Work with international consulting companies for the design, the construction supervision and the overall operation of the company
- Contracting construction companies
- Supervision of construction works
- Final approval and reception of construction
- Owner and operator of the new landfill
The Implementation Consultant (IC)
The consulting company ERM (Environmenal Resources Management) delivers consulting services for planning, tendering and supervising the construction of the new sanitary landfill and the transfer stations including the long distance transport equipment. Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Design of the sanitary landfill
- EISA study (Environmental and Social Impact Assessment)
- Prepare tender dossiers for construction works and equipment and supporting tender procedures
- Supervise construction works
The Accompanying Measures Consultant (AMC)
This component is implemented by the German consultancy company PEM Consult together with INTECUS GmbH (Germany) and GAMMA (Georgia) and delivers training and consulting services to support and improve the organisational and institutional capacities of the Solid Waste Management Company. Its main tasks and responsibilities are to support and improve the capacities of the Solid Waste Management Company of Georgia in the following fields:
- Organisation and management
- Financial management
- Technical competences
- PR, communication and public awareness activities.
German-Georgian Cooperation, KfW
Within the bilateral German-Georgian Cooperation Programme, the KfW provides a € 20 mio loan to the Georgian State.
Government of Georgia
The Government of Georgia contributes with € 4 mio to the total costs of € 26 mio.
EU Neighbourhood Investment Facility (NIF)
The European Union provides through its EU Neighbourhood Investment Facility (NiF) a € 2 mio grant for financing the technical assistance for implementing the project.