A new Regional Non-Hazardous Waste Landfill for Samegrelo Zemo Svaneti
The Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM) Project in Samegrelo Zemo Svaneti Region aims at improving the overall environmental situation in the region by enhacing the solid waste management system including waste collection and transport, closure of existing landfills, and construction of a new Regional Non-Hazardous Waste Landfill in accordance with national and international standards (mainly EU standards).
The project is implemented with the financial support from the German Bank for Reconstruction (KfW) within the framework of the German Financial Cooperation in Georgia, and as such, adoption of international standards, in addition to compliance with national standards, is mandatory.
The project will include the following components.
Construction of a Regional Non-Hazardous Waste Landfill in accordance with national and international standards (in line with EU standards) in Zugdidi (same location as existing landfill that will be closed)
Construction of transfer stations and closure of existing landfills
- Construction of transfer stations in Poti, Tsalenjikha, and Lakhani (transfer point); these transfer locations are used to reduce transportation costs to the regional non-hazardous waste landfill
- Environmentally sound closure of the existing landfill in Poti
- Environmentally sound closure of the existing landfill in Zugdidi
Transfer stations – link between remote areas and the new landfill
Former municipal landfills of Lakhani, Tsalenjika and Poti will be transformed into transfer stations to make waste collection and waste disposal more efficient. Household waste collected in these regions will be compressed in big containers and then transported regularly to the new landfill.
Examples of transfer stations operated by the Solid Waste Management Company of Georgia
Up to now we have created 5 transfer stations (Ureki, Kvareli, Manglisi-Tsalka, Borjomi-bakuriani, Mestia). In future, transfer stations will play a more important role when the new regional landfills will be constructed and waste will be disposed there from more remote areas.
Provision of compaction trucks, containers, and street sweeping equipment
- Solid Waste Collection and Street Sweeping equipment will be provided to the municipalities
- Long distance transport vehicles for Transfer Stations and Equipment for Landfill will be provided to the SWMCG