Project in brief
Project Title: Kvemo Kartli Solid Waste Project
Short description of the project:
Solid Waste Management Company of Georgia is implementing the project “Kvemo Kartli Solid Waste Project”.
The estimated budget of the project is 11.1 million euros:
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) loan – 7 million euros
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) grant – € 3 million
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) technical assistance – € 1.1 million
The project envisages the construction of a new regional non-hazardous waste landfill in Tetritskaro Municipality. The aim of the project is to improve the sanitary and hygienic situation in the region by improving the municipal waste management system, which includes:
- Constructing a new regional non-hazardous waste landfill in accordance with Georgian and international (EU) standards;
- Equipping municipalities with modern equipment for street cleaning, waste collection, and transportation.
What positive impact will the project have?
Following the completion of the construction of the new regional landfill, the existing landfills in Dmanisi, Bolnisi, and Marneuli will be closed according to standards. The construction of a new, modern landfill will significantly improve the environment and living conditions of the local population:
- Additional jobs will be created for the local population during the construction and during the operation of the landfill;
- The implementation of the project will contribute to the establishment of a modern waste management system/practice in the region;
- The project will also make a significant contribution towards the reduction of environmental pollution. Consequently, negative impacts on soil and water resources will be minimized;
- The project will help to reduce the amount of greenhouse gas from the waste management sector in the region, in particular from the waste disposal facility;
- The project will in the future create a technical basis for obtaining electricity from waste gas;